Monday, March 17, 2014

Wishing It

As much as I do adore Nature
there are manifest vestiges 
of her otherwise splendid design
of existence and survival that
I would summarily dispense with,
if I could, but my wish is not
her command. And as much as
I can find it within myself to
tolerate the presence of the cat
of the neighbour who lives
beside me, that of the one living
across the street, down the street,
up the street, with their stealthy,
stalking instinct for mauling and
bloodlust, I simply so much more
value songbirds for the exquisite
thrill of their song, their colour
and delicate presence, and even
the impish, quarrelsome squirrels
and wild rabbits who also feast 
on the seeds and nuts set out for
the birds; so much so that if
Nature changed her impetuous
unknowable mind, I would never
miss the cats, as I would the
wildlife they wretchedly prey upon.



No comments: