Monday, January 31, 2011

Gallery

































































I wander often in a strange world adjacent
my own in a quirk of discovery through places
unfamiliar but yet they are in my purview
of their existence, from the ancient to the modern.
Polar distances they may be, but yet the polar
world to that of the tropics are close at hand,
hanging on my walls, as though close to memory,
entrancing and inviting entry to the curious.

Arctic wilderness to European seaports;
African Cairo to Holland's sea-marshy farmlands,
Shakespeare's Globe Theatre to Bedouin Berber
tribesmen, pious Spanish noblewomen and the
Canadian Rockies to the rook-lined coast of
Scotland. All that has been and remains in
this world I can examine, imagine and invite
myself to live within for without it there
would have been no conceivable present.

In my mind I travel to unmet places,
commune with those not of my language
and custom, to discover we have much in
agreement, overwhelming differences. If we
but stop to think upon our world we should all
be connoisseurs of the extravagant phenomenon
of our amazing existence upon this Earth.

No comments: