Monday, September 14, 2026

Impressions

 

When I was a child I thought

like a child. Now I am aged I think

like a child again. There are learning

moments aplenty when we are young

so young and clearly impressionable.

In our innocence we assume. As a

child I had few possessions but

those given me were treasured. No

dolls or toys, occasionally books and

once a tiny tricycle I learned to pump

with my short, plump legs. I loved it

until a street bully grabbed it and I

fled weeping to 'tell my father'. Go

right back and get it, he ordered and

I cowered and refused. He retrieved

it and its allure faded. One evening

when my mother had washed my hair

I girded myself to tell her with bated

breath that someone had fondled me

in a naughty place and I felt fearful. 

She recoiled, warned me never

to repeat such dreadful things then

turned away from me. Before then

I had once overheard her boast to a

neighbour that her child never lied

and from that I understood that to

speak truth was pleasing. When later

I informed my mother that my

uncle abused me I was denied

comforting reassurance for

displeasing her. Then I realized

how complicated life really is.

 

No comments: