Saturday, May 4, 2024

Leave Me Be!

Image

Really now, life can be SO unfair. We are all of

us after all, nature's creations, animals of various

shapes and sizes, temperaments and natural

inclinations, all of which speaks to the vast

imagination and creative talents inherent in

Nature, the mother of us all. Yet here we are

my tribe, modest creatures that we are, living

everywhere in various incarnations, adding

to the diversity of creatures inhabiting this

singular planet we call home. Our very name

is feared and denigrated, sending shudders of

apprehension down the spines of others, large

and small not of our species. Here am I, a

modest creature with no ill-intentions toward

any though I have distant relations who respond

fiercely, lethally when irked, but not I. After

a miserably cold, long winter hibernation who

wouldn't want to emerge from a dank underground

den to bask in the spring sun? I lie passively

on stones or pathways to feel warmth coursing

through my reptilian body, harming none yet

I am harassed by curious animals wanting to 

know what manner of beast I am. Leave me be!


No comments: